There are an estimated 700,000 e-cigarette users in the UK (according to action on smoking and health). e-Cigarette use is often referred to as "vaping" as it is not actually smoke that is produced when you exhale, it is in fact water vapour like what you get when a kettle boils. It is therefore not harmful to those around you and is not covered by the smoking ban.
E-cigarettes offer certain features that traditional cigarette smokers enjoy, such as:
- Hand to mouth action - most smokers are used to their hands being active an e-cigarette replicates this action
- Throat Hit - It is very common among smokers to enjoy the hit at the back of the throat. Nicotine strength and *PG levels mean the user can adjust the throat hit to one that is suitable for them
- Smoke - Some smokers like the amount of smoke that is exhaled to be thick, where as other smokers prefer minimal smoke. With an E-cigarette you can adjust the amount of *VG and tailor the amount of smoke to your desired level
- Nicotine - Nicotine is an addictive ingredient in cigarettes, and when the body does not receive this nicotine 'fix' it craves it. E-juices come in varying nicotine strengths which can then be mixed to meet your individual requirements
* The e-juices used in an e-cigarette are made up of two main ingredients, Vegetable Glycerine and Propylene Glycol (VG & PG)
E-cigarettes also do not have some of the negatives of traditional cigarettes:
- Tar - Traditional cigarettes are well known for containing tar, which then builds up on the lungs and restricts the expansion and contraction of the organ. This is why smokers often get breathless - E-CIGARETTES DO NOT CONTAIN TAR!
- Carbon Monoxide - When tobacco is burned and inhaled, one of the 4,000 or more chemicals that enters the body is CO. When the smoke is inhaled into the lungs, CO is rapidly absorbed into the blood stream. There is good evidence that high levels of carbon monoxide in the blood of smokers is one of the main factors causing smokers to have increased rates of cardiovascular diseases (such as angina and heart attacks) - E-CIGARETTES DO NOT CONTAIN CARBON MONOXIDE
- Cost -After the initial outlay for the purchase of the e-cigarette (often less than a week’s cost of smoking traditional cigarettes) all you have to purchase are the e-juices (currently £3.99 and last a 20 a day smoker about a week ) and the tops (Clearomizers/Cartomizer/Atomizer) once a month (from £4.99) so a 20 a day smoker would spend roughly £21 a month instead of about 50 for traditionalcigarettes.
It is this adaptability of e-cigarettes as well as the many benefits and flavours that make it easy and attractive for smokers to use an e-cigarette alongside their traditional cigarette or to substitute it completely.